28 May 2007

Fanfare for the common man

They fought in World Wars I and II, Korea, Vietnam. They fought and are fighting in the Persian Gulf. These men include my grandfathers and father, my uncles and cousins, my brothers and nephew, and many, many friends. We have been so very lucky, because with the exception of the spouse's 2nd cousin, all of our warriors have returned home to us, whole and unharmed.

Today, we remember those who were not so fortunate.

To bring up the politics behind what is currently happening is, to my mind, to dishonor the ordinary men and women who have been asked to go into battle. No matter what you might believe about this war, those who are fighting and dying and coming home wounded deserve our respect and support. And from one with long experience in the matter, I can guarantee you that it is fully possible to respect and support those who have earned it, while raging at the individuals who refuse to do what is necessary to end this mess.

Go listen to some good music: "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copeland.